Web Application Development
In computing, a web app is a client-server computer program in which the client, including the user interface and client-side logic, runs in a web browser. Typical web apps include webmail, online retailers, online auctions, instant messaging services, and more. The general difference between any dynamic web page and web application is not clear. Websites that are most likely to be referred to as web applications are those that have a similar functionality with a desktop software application, or a mobile app. One page application is more applicable. For example, they reject the more common web example of moving between specific pages with different URLs.
There are two main types of coding, scripting, and programming for creating web applications.
I. Client-side scripting/coding – Client-side scripting is a type of code that is executed or interpreted by browsers.
Any visitor usually views client-side scripting to any site (click “View Source” from the menu to view the source code).
Below are some common client-side scripting technologies.
- HTML (Hypertext Markup Language)
- CSS (Clash style sheets)
- Dojo Toolkit (Commonly used in Ajax development)
II. Server-side scripting/coding – Server-side scripting is a code that is executed or interpreted by a web server.
Server-side scripting is not accessible or viewable by any viewers or the general public.
Below are common server-side scripting technologies.
- PHP (very common server – open based on Linux / Unix) Source – free distribution, usually combined with MySQL database)
- Zand Framework (PHP Object Oriented Web Application Framework) ASP (Microsoft Web Server (IIS) Script Language)
- ASP.NET (Microsoft’s Web Application Framework – ASP’s Successor) Ruby on Rails
Advantages of Web Application Development:
- Web applications are developed with programming languages like HTML, PHP, ASP.NET, and CSS, known among Information Technology professionals.
- These applications run on the device’s web browser via a simple URL.
- They can also open a website. It means they don’t need to be updated like normal apps. In that sense, it is the website that has the application pair that will be updated.
- On the other hand, the development time of a web app is short. So it has a low price.
Disadvantages of web application development:
- Internet connection is necessary to run it. in case of no internet, you will not be able to browse the website, and the web app will not work for you.
- It will not be on display in stores as it will also lose visibility.
- Besides, some of the hardware features of this device that are running on it may be some access restrictions.